As technology is advancing day-by-day, more devices, applications, and users are increasing in number too. It is important to have a good identity governance solution to reduce risk with connections. SailPoint is an identity management and governance solution for unstructured data access. It manages provisioning, password management, access request, and certification services for on-premise, cloud, and mobile applications. It gives access to tools, applications, and information for the right users wherever they need it.
In this post, you will learn about the top 30 interview questions on SailPoint. Our experts have carefully curated the content collected from previous interviewees and put together these questions that will help in your interview. Go through the below frequently asked SailPoint interview questions and answers and have a better shot at cracking your interview.
Frequently asked SailPoint interview questions and answers
What is Cloud Identity Management?
Ans: For the data backed up in the cloud, cyber-attacks and secrecy are the main concerns. The process of providing authentication and authorization for a cloud environment is called Cloud Identity Management. So that only an authorized person can access the data on the cloud. It makes the cloud environment more visible and secure to any organization with complex or unique data storage needs.
2. Explain about audit configuration.
Ans: We can specify actions for the collected audit logs on the audit configuration page. These logs will then be used for audit search. Collecting logs and storing information will affect performance. So, an admin has to specify actions in IdentityIQ even before the audit logs are collected.
The audit configuration page contains
- General actions
- Link attribute changes
- Identity attribute changes
- Class actions
3. What do you know about the Governance Platform?
Ans: The governance platform in SailPoint is used for effective IAM within the enterprise. It manages users and resources through a single platform, which centralizes identity data, captures business policy, and models roles. It applies consistent governance across compliance and provisioning processes. It streamlines compliance controls and improves audit performance.
4. Define the term Compliance Manager.
Ans: Compliance manager is used to automating access certifications, audit reporting, and policy management through a governance framework. It reduces cost and improves the efficiency of identity governance. It enables audit production through mechanical entrance and policy enforcement. It also streamlines the compliance controls and focuses on the access privileges, users, and resources that portray a potential risk.
5. What is SailPoint IIQ?
Ans: SailPoint IIQ or SailPoint IdentityIQ is a cloud-based platform that gives full visibility into the identity aspects of your environment. The dashboard provides complete visibility of user access across the organization so that the managers make the right access decisions. It offers AI-powered certifications to verify employee access for security.
6. Explain about Identity Warehouse.
Ans: Identity Warehouse is the central repository for identity and access data across an organization. It is populated by importing access data from several sources like databases, platforms, business applications, SaaS applications, etc. It links individual accounts to create a user’s Identity Cube. This identity cube provides a multi-dimensional view of each individual along with their access.
7. What is a Role Modeler?
Ans: The role model reduces complexity and simplifies user administration. It allows organizations to define, request, and approve policies and certify access using business roles. Users will be able to create roles quickly. The role model ensures that the created roles are in sync with organizational and IT changes. It offers features like role certifications, role quality metrics, role approvals, and role analytics.
8. What are the solution components in SailPoint?
Ans: The following are the primary solution components in SailPoint.
- Compliance Manager
- Lifecycle Manager
- Access Manager
- Identity Intelligence
- Governance Platform
- Connectivity Foundation
9. Explain about SailPoint’s Connectivity Foundation.
Ans: SailPoint comes with pre-built integration to over 80 cloud and on-premises resources through the connectivity foundation. It also provides integration options for third-party provisioning tools, service desk systems, etc. It offers manual provisioning access through help desks and work queues. It gives maximum flexibility to organizations to provision changes in whatever way they need.
10. What are the Provisioning Integration Modules?
Ans: Provisioning Integration Modules (PIMs) are useful for provisioning solutions for several legacy users. The provisioning systems include IBM Tivoli Identity Manager, Oracle Identity Manager, BMC Identity Manager, Sun Identity Manager, IBM Security Identity Manager, Microsoft Forefront Identity Manager (FIM), and Novell Identity Manager. The PIMs increase investments in existing provisioning systems and speed up governance and compliance deployment.
11. What do you know about lifecycle events?
Ans: All actions that happen to an employee in their lifecycle are termed as lifecycle events. Here are some of the lifecycle events.
12. When an employee joins a firm, what are the things that will be performed in SailPoint?
Ans: If the employee has to register for any access, they can do it through SailPoint. If not, when the employee data is synced into SailPoint IIQ, it will automatically provision associated accounts to the employee. The process depends on the organization, and it usually takes a one-day interval.
13. Explain the different types of provisioning.
Ans: There are three types of provisioning in SailPoint.
Automated provisioning – It detects new user records in the HR system and automatically provisions access to target applications for the users.
Workflow-based provisioning – It is the process of collecting approvals from approvers and then providing access to the user.
Self-service provisioning – The user will be able to self-register to request any access.
14. What are the types of certifications available in SailPoint?
Ans: SailPoint has the following three major certifications.
- Application owner certification
- Manager Certification
- Role Composition certification
It also offers the below three secondary certifications.
- Role Membership certification
- Account Group Membership certification
- Account Group Permission
15. Explain about the Password Manager in IdentityIQ.
Ans: SailPoint’s Password Manager reduces operational costs and simplifies the management of user passwords. The primary functionalities of a password manager are,
- Self-Service Password Management – Users will have an intuitive way to change or reset passwords by themselves.
- Strong Password Policy Enforcement – It strengthens security through configurable and consistent password policies.
16. What do you understand by Host configuration?
Ans: The Host Configuration page in SailPoint is useful to monitor active servers that are currently running on an IdentityIQ instance or cluster. The information on the existing workload maintained by each server is shown to the admin on the host configuration page.
17. How can you manage multi-threading on SailPoint?
Ans: We should not use the one-thread-and-queue-per-receiver method when working with multiple receivers. This will result in a lot of threads not doing anything, and it affects the performance. Alternatively, we can use a thread pool of worker threads by picking a task from a shared queue. Each task from the shared queue will have a unique ID. Additionally, we can choose a shared dictionary for every receiver that the working threads use.
18. What is the use of a rule library?
Ans: A rule is an XML object which contains a piece of business logic. A collection of methods grouped and stored in IdentityIQ as a rule object are called rule libraries. The rule libraries contain a set of related but unconnected methods. These methods can be invoked by rules or by workflows.
19. How can we represent an organization in SailPoint?
Ans: We can represent an organization by directly integrating the organization with all available systems or targets that are available in an organization.
20. What is an exclusion rule?
Ans: An exclusion rule is useful to remove various items from a SailPoint Certification. An exclusion rule iterates over the items in a certification against the items specified in the logic built within the rule. The matching items will be removed from the ‘active list’ and added to the excluded list. These items will be saved for future analysis.
21. Define Application onboarding.
Ans: To integrate a system, it is necessary to define a standardized path at business and technical levels. The process of defining initial contact, requirements gathering, design integration, factory-style development, and release cycles is referred to as application onboarding. The application onboarding helps in improving delivery quality.
22. What is the role of a Lifecycle Manager?
Ans: The Lifecycle Manager in SailPoint is a flexible and scalable solution used to address the access changes through a user-friendly dashboard. It helps users to manage access by proactively reset passwords. The Lifecycle Manager provides great visibility to process execution and service-level monitoring. It uses automated identity lifecycle events to speed delivery of access.
23. Explain about the identity cube.
Ans: Identity cube consists of information of a user like attributes, names, location, system access, user rights, history, risk score, etc. Each user entry in the IdentityIQ repository is represented by a unique identity. To populate the information in the identity cube, SailPoint connectors are used. Once the data is populated, it gives a multi-dimensional view of each user.
24. Give the differences between regular identity management and the SailPoint?
Ans: SailPoint simplifies and accelerates business through AI recommendations, employees with self-service, etc. It brings users, data, and applications together while focusing on multi-protocol access. It offers intelligent insights and real-time reporting. SailPoint is a SaaS solution, so it will be easy to configure and deploy with zero maintenance.
25. How can we link programs to useful systems?
Ans: We can link programs to the useful systems in SailPoint using EUCALYPTUS methodology. To manage identities on complex networks easily, we can even deploy clustering in the cloud environment.
26. List the different types of correlation in SailPoint.
Ans: SailPoint has the following two types of correlations.
- Attribute-Based Correlation – Correlating the accounts based on a certain attribute.
- Condition Based Correlation – Correlating the accounts based on a certain condition.
27. What is the use of role mining?
Ans: In any organization, the role engineers create business roles. SailPoint discovers the existing patterns and labels them as ‘IT roles’. The process of following top to bottom based approach or bottom-up approach while creating roles is referred to as role mining.
28. What are the approval items and what are the modes of approval?
Ans: When an employee wants to change their access or an account, he can place a request to his manager. These requests raised by the subordinate employees will show up as approval items in the manager or the administrator dashboard. The manager or administrator can approve these requests either through email or through the browser.
29. What actions will you take when you encounter a performance issue?
Ans: If there are any issues faced in terms of performance, we can do the following.
- Perform load and performance testing at the initial stage.
- Analyze the code end-to-end.
- Perform operation fortification and upliftment.
- Take a look at the disk space availability, data files, etc., that might lead to performance downtime.
30. What is the use of PostBack in a form in SailPoint?
Ans: To allow a form to refresh when a specific value changes, we can use PostBack. If we set postBack= ”true” in the specified field attribute in the form, the form will refresh when that field value is changed.
31. Illustrate the differences between roles and capabilities?
Ans: A Capability cannot be considered as the right term here while it is called entitlement. Entitlement refers to the access which is provided to a system while the rules are nothing but the clusters are the groups that will be able to access them.
32. Do you have an idea about the differences between the sale point and the traditional cloud management solution?
Ans: Sailpoint is a technology which has its primary focus to enable every information technology based resource as a simple one by making use of the multi-protocol approach. One of the primary advantages of cell point is that it is capable of accepting any kind of language in the tool or program and hence making it simpler to attain favorable results in a short span of time.
33. How can you explain that the Sailpoint can be useful when compared with the parallel solution or approach?
- Sailpoint is capable of providing security with its dedicated data storage and backup, allowing the organization to make sure that every single data is secure.
- It also includes the management abilities which help in consistency and reliability.
- It includes multiple features like sandboxing features which are inbuilt, providing the users with easy handling.
- The cost incurred is very low and the efforts by the experts also seems to be low while coming to the management of the data.
34. List out the models that are available in the cloud in which Sailpoint solutions can be applied?
Ans: The Sailpoint technology holds the compatibility with all the different models that are available like community cloud, private cloud, hybrid cloud, public cloud. The installation and implementation process could be varying based on the model.
35. Do you really think that it is possible for identity management within utility computing?
Ans: Yes I think it is possible. The nature of services will be varying while it will be a hybrid approach in most of the cases. Hence, identity management is not considered as a big thing when it comes to the effective solution.
36. Name the two common data centers that are available in the cloud environment?
Ans: There are two data centers that are in common in the cloud environment. They are low density based and containerized based data centers.
37. What are the important components that are utilized in cloud based architecture?
Ans: The primary important component that is utilized in the cloud based architecture is the processor speed. Apart from that it also includes intra cloud communications and cloud Ingress, along with some of the services that are cloud based and storage services which are really important.
38. What are the key drivers of IAM in the Sailpoint technology?
Ans: Below listed are the key drives that are required.
- Improve the security
- Audit compliance
- Business enablement
- Operational efficiency
39. List out the different layers that are available in the cloud architecture of Sailpoint?
Ans: Below listed are the different layers that are available in the sailpoint cloud architecture
- Storage controller
- Cluster controller
- Node controller
- Cloud controller
40. What is meant by role configuration in the Sailpoint technology?
Ans: Role configuration is referred to as a page that will provide us with the characteristics of extended roles and the other roles. The qualities would be Apparent based on the role information and could be the role status as well.